Scarleteen, sex ed for the real world

Back
Eric asks:

If I had somehow (which I don't think I did) got pre-cum on my fingers, and then immediately wiped it off, and it was completely dry, and I then poked my girlfriend a few hours later, what would be the chances of pregnancy?

Sarah replies:

Sperm are hearty, but they're not that hearty! As long as your hands were dry when you had contact with your girlfriend, you've got nothing to worry about from this situation. Dry ejaculate or pre-ejaculate poses no risk.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying you "poked" your girlfriend, but I'm going to assume that you mean that you preformed manual sex on her. (Of course, if you poked her in the arm or leg, there's no risk of any sort from that anyway.) However, I will note that if you preformed manual sex on your partner without at least washing your hands immediately prior to the contact (or preferably using a glove), you could have put her at risk for developing an infection. Hands are notorious for carrying germs, bacteria, and other nasties that can easily be introduced into her body through unprotected manual sex and can cause infections. So in the future, it would be best to make sure you at least wash your hands (and that your hands and fingers are well groomed and smooth so that you don't cause tears or abrasions) beforehand.

What's shiny & new?

Want to help out Scarleteen and get something nifty at the same time? As Scarleteen’s Artist in Residence, I've seen the huge amount of work that Scarleteen staff and volunteers dedicate towards helping our users every day -- around five million of them each year! -- and on an extremely minimal budget. I want to do what I can to help, and that's why I published two e-comics to benefit Scarleteen! There are a lot of ways to talk and learn about sex and relationships, and comics are no exception. Take a moment to look over both of these e-books to see if either, or both, strike your fancy! - Izzy

Back

S.E.X.

S.E.X. by Heather CorinnaS.E.X. by Heather Corinna"Geared towards 16-22-year-olds of any gender, S.E.X. covers the nuts and bolts of anatomy in a tone that's conversational, not cutesy…it's her holistic approach and deft handling of other heavy topics, from eating disorders to abuse, that make this book a must-read." - Bust Magazine

CLICK HERE to find out more about this popular in-depth, inclusive and positive sex, sexuality and relationships guide and where you can get one, or hop to Amazon to nab yours now.

My Scarleteen

DonateNow

Want live help from staff?

Question:

I will be a junior in high school next year, and because I've been lucky to stumble on a lot of really great sex-positive resources, I've learned I have a pretty strong interest in sexuality--as in, studying it/doing something in it as a career. However, getting information about this field is much more difficult than, say, engineering or law. What are jobs within this field, what are areas in college/majors you'd advise, and what are some ways I can get involved now, as a minor? My areas of interest are not really in the medical field--I'm more interested in counseling, giving advice, activism, and education

Also, do you have any advice for telling people about my interest? Right now the only person who knows is my boyfriend, because it's really difficult for me to trust most other people to not equivocate wanting to study sexuality with being obsessed with having sex. Esp my parents, who are politically liberal in every way except in their parenting. They ask me what I want to do with my life really often, and it's kinda stressful to not be able to talk to them.

Need help now?
click HERE for
our direct services
and the guide
to using them!